Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Illinois Informatics and School of Information Sciences
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Vinyl Sticker Assignment

My stickers!

The first sticker I made was a griffin. I combined the wings of a butterfly and a koala. I used path difference to split the butterfly in half and unified the two silhouette images of the animals. Initially I chose two other animals (a kiwi and an elephant), but it didn’t turn out as I liked so I opted for the two animals in my final griffin sticker.

The second sticker was the Fablab logo. It contained three layers. We simply opened the Inkscape file into Silhouette and sent the file to the sticker printers. Then we practiced transferring the layers onto one another.

The real bathing house.

The third sticker was a remix of my own. Last semester I studied abroad in Australia and I visited Melbourne’s Brighton Beach, where they are known for their colorful bathing houses, which are just small beach shacks. I wanted to create the most iconic bathing house in my sticker.

The four layers on Inkscape.
The transfer paper doing it’s job.

Initially, I just searched for a house silhouette as the base of my sticker but found that none of the result were exactly what I wanted so I created my own by creating a square and a triangle on Inkscape and unifying them together. Then I found a picture of the Australian flag and color traced the image, where I was able to ungroup the layers and use path difference to be left with the Union Jack. Then to finish off the elements of my sticker, I created 7 point stars on Inkscape. After all my components were created, I played around on Inkscape and aligned them in order to get the correct scales. Then I separated the layers, opened the Inkscape file on Silhouette and printed the layers on the corresponding colors. This process was straight forward and fairly easy, besides a few small things on Inkscape that I just needed to get familiar with.

The first real problem I encountered was the printing machine. I did not realize at first that the wheels were not aligned and therefore the printer was unable to load the vinyl sheets precisely, thus creating inaccurate cuts in the vinyl. Luckily, I realized this quickly and stopped the printing job and fixed the wheels with the help of a Fablab member. From there, I was able to print all the needed layers. I grabbed the transfer tape and was able to easily layer each vinyl component to create the finishing product. Overall, I am really happy with the turnout and I feel more comfortable using Inkscape and Silhouette. 

Tags: , ,