Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Vinyl Sticker

For the vinyl assignment, I’ve tried various techniques. Started with the one in class, simply merging two graphics into a hybrid one. I picked a tiny dragon and a skull for their simple and curvy outlines. Thought it would be cool to have that dragon grow out of the skull.

The end result looks nice and I have put that onto my water bottle.

For the logo sticker, I picked a logo of Star Wars theme. It has three different colours, so that I can exercise my taste of layering vinyl print.

This one took me quite some time in the lab. For a 4 -by-4 print, the letters were really tricky at the time. The hollow areas in letters like ‘P’ was painful. Also, i found that the glossy white vinyl is much harder and thicker the the rest, and the printer was not very well adapted to it. I tried printing it with default setting twice, no way to get it off. Then tried change the blade to 2, instead of 1. Finally made it off the back. Looks not too bad though.

For the final sticker, I picked this owl. Reminds me of DuoLingo. The process in InkSpace was not as smooth as it was for the previous one. Took lots of time manually fixing the outlines. Finalized to a seven layer design with each dedicated to a colour. With practices from the Darth Vader, the assembly took less time and the finish was quite cute.

Tags: ,