Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

The Smiley Face that became Loopy- Assignment 0

For one of the assignments we were suppose to embroider a piece of clothing. I chose to go with a simple design of a smiley face since when I first did an embroider patch it ended up being a very long process for the machine to embroider since I chose a very intricate piece. So with my smiley face idea in tow, I let the sewing machine work its magic and begin the embroidery. I thought that this piece wouldn’t take more than a couple hours to complete and since there were only two colors used (yellow and black) then it would be a piece of cake. Turns out that it just wasn’t my day. Halfway through the embroidery, the white spool of bobbin ran out and since I didn’t notice this until a handful of minutes in, the black spool that was embroidering had created a rats nest of a mess. I had to pause the machine and get more of the white bobbin thread so that the embroidery could continue to have a base to hold onto within the threading. Once that was taken care of, I let the machine continue on with the embroidering. What I didn’t notice was that somehow the entire embroidery itself had shifted and was off center from its original location. The problem was that I didn’t notice this until the entire rest of the embroidery had been completed as I was simultaneously working on a 3d printing project that took away half of my attention. This resulted in creating an embroidered shirt with a lopsided loopy looking smiley face that certainly had a distorted figure. 

Loopy Smiley Face
When it comes to figuring out what when wrong, I’d say running out of the white bobbin spool was the start of my smiley face embroidery’s demise. I didn’t realize that it had ran out so the colored thread continue to attempt to thread through the fabric but it wouldn’t catch and so a big mess was made. To fix this problem I will next time make sure that there is enough white bobbin on the spool. Another issue I came to realize after the fact was that the alignment had moved out of its original place. This caused the machine to continue embroidering as if everything was normal, but the placement was way off. I’ll have to be more observant of this next time to make sure it doesn’t occur off center again.  Otherwise, I think the project turned out to be pretty entertaining and the end result did give myself and others a few good laughs.