Stickers – Drew Zelac
For my Griffin part of the lab, I decided to start with a silhouette of a bear and a fish, to try to combine them. I was first thinking of just putting a fish back fin/tail on the bear, but I thought it would be nice to combine more of the fish with the bear, so I added the top fin as well. Then I had some extra time in the lab, so I thought it would be cool to add a third animal in my design, so I found a nice set of reindeer antlers on a silhouette of a reindeer and combined that with the rest. It ended up like this: (and is now on the door in the main area of the fab lab near the bigger sticker cutters)
For my logo, I wanted something that I would like to put on my laptop, and the UIUC logo works well for that purpose. I found a version of the logo that would be fairly simple to create, since this is mostly practice for the main design. I thought about how to create this for a little bit and decided that the best way to do it would be to have two layers. There would be a bottom layer of white and a top layer with the blue and the orange. I thought this would be better than blue on bottom, then white, then orange, since that would really have a layered feel when put together. I wanted to avoid that, so I thought of my two layered method.
From the start of this part of the sticker lab, I knew I wanted another sticker besides my logo to put on my laptop. So for this, I wanted something with a design that I thought would be cool to look at all the time and not too large.
One problem I encountered with the logo design was some bubbles that occurred due to the way I placed the layers on top of one another. I was able to squeegee out some of them, but not all. This became something to improve on for the final design. Duncan was helpful in telling me how to avoid this issue in the final design, by placing the layers down on top of each other more carefully and not all at once.
I have always liked designs with shapes, so one of the first things I thought of was a design with a main feature of some kind of circle with a star inside. When trying this out in Inkscape, I tried manipulating the star shape in different ways until I found a cool design from it. This came when I began changing the roundedness of the star, which after a little bit starts inverting the star in really cool ways. I did this, added a circles above and below it, and eventually got this:
I thought it looked sort of like a sun, so the next thing I thought of was to add solar flares around it, from this photo:
I knew I couldn’t directly use this, as I had to trace the bitmap first. I first tried this though brightness tracing, but it was a mess, so I decided to do it with color tracing. After some adjustments, I realized the best way to accomplish this and be able to easily add it to my design would be if I traced it with very few scans, 3 or 4, so it would only have a few color layers in it for me to deal with. It turned out like this:
From there I wanted to get rid of mostly everything inside of the outer layer, as I only really wanted that to frame my current sun image that I created. To do this, I made a circle that covered most of the inner mess and took the difference of this and the above.
There were still some parts of the black layer in the brown layer, so I wanted to get rid of those to make it a bit smoother. I accomplished this by creating some lines to cut off the parts that stuck out and took the difference of that. Then I deleted those parts that stuck out.
I combined that with my previous layers and got this (then cut it ):
I realized that this would be way too complicated to cut out and combine, so I started peeling back the layers a bit.
I wanted to middle part to be less complicated to start, so I changed it to this:
It was still a bit complicated here, so I decided to peel off one more layer from this:
I felt like the above would be much more manageable to actually create and put together into the final sticker, so I stuck with it. It would be four layers. A yellow layer on bottom with the black on top of it. The the other two would be a blue circle with the red circle and cut-outs above that. Then I would combine those top two layers with the bottom two for the final sticker.
After trying this I found out I should have done it a bit differently. The yellow and blue layer were very simple, as they were just a square and circle. The black layer was also pretty simple because of the square outline and just a part cut out of the middle. The problems I encountered were all with the red layer. It was a huge pain to take off with the transfer tape, as when I tried getting the blue outer cut-outs all off, the whole outer part of the red circle came with it and I had to try really hard to get it back on the original sticker paper in a circle again, which it really didn’t want to do. Then the tiny cut-outs of the inner part of the circle were too small to easily come out, which just made it take a while to very carefully get them out.
All in all, it turned out fairly well even through all the complications with the red layer and I was able to put it on my laptop.
If I were to try it again, I would definitely make the red and blue layers a different design. It would still be sun-like, but I would make it something combined for the red layer, so it would peel off into separate parts. I would also avoid tiny parts like the inner cut-outs in the red layer. I might change the blue slightly to add ridges or something to add to the design, since I’d be taking away a bit from the red part of the design. Also the red part is already having slight problems with peeling off when taking my laptop in and out of my backpack, so I would try to avoid the pointed triangles or other shapes in an outer layer. Those would have to be hidden below a top layer if they were to be incorporated and meant to last.