3D Printing Inventions
This camp is intended for anyone who wants to learn and develop digital modeling skills through hands-on experience. The camp covers broad topics including engineering drawing and sketching, digital modeling, 3D printing and design thinking. The 3D-CAD software that will be used in this camp is Fusion 360. This design software encompasses parametric, direct and freeform modeling capabilities and provides unlimited opportunity for creative expression. UP 3D printers will be used build digital designs of students’ creation.
In the first half of the class, instructional materials covering the basics of freehand sketching, 3D design, parametric and freeform modeling, 3D printing, as well as design thinking will be introduced. From the second half of the camp, participants will be assigned into a team to work on a design challenge aimed at enhancing problem solving ability and collaboration. The camp will conclude with a presentation of the design outcomes of the teams and each participant will keep 3D models of their creation built throughout the camp.
Learning Process and Outcomes
- Demonstrate basic sketching skills
- Understand and generate basic technical drawings
- Demonstrate 3D modeling skills
- Understand and demonstrate effective design process
- Use Fusion 360 3D-CAD software
- Understand working principles and the operation of 3D printer
- Solve design problem using design thinking principles
At least two 3D printed creations – a starter keychain and a more complicated invention of the camper’s own design