Pom Bot – Charis Ryu

ggg

In-class: one motor bot

I created a cat bot with a wagging tail with a servo motor for the in-class project. I used a cardboard tube for the body and attached the motor inside the tube. Then, I created the bot’s face with a plastic lid and tail with wires, covering them with brown nonwovens.

Locomoting pom bot: 1st Prototype

For the first prototype of my pom bot, I used ice cream sticks for the body and legs. I watched several different 2-3 motor walking bot videos, and thought creating a 4-legged 2-servo bot would be the approachable solution. I watched a video of the making of 3-servo walking bot (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWSbFfW3lC4), which I also found interesting, however I decided to stick to the 2-servo walking bot for the project. Next time, I would like to try this approach, as it seemed like a very clever, sophisticated solution.

I used the hot glue to attach the servo motors under the body and the legs with the motors. As you can see in the photos and the video above, I had two main problems: (1) the general structure of the bot was very weak and the back of the bot was not strong enough to carry the board, and (2) it didn’t seem that the bot was walking forward properly. I had to come up with a better walking algorithm that doesn’t use the original for loop (as it didn’t seem like the best solution to make both the motors to move individually) and make the bones of the bot stronger.

2nd (Final) Prototype

In order to fix the two main issues I’ve encountered while making the 1st prototype, I used more ice cream sticks to give more structural support and changed the algorithm code that makes the motors to rotate that makes the legs to move properly. Then, I used the fabrics, feathers, and hot glue to give the bot an aesthetic look.

Code

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest