Iteration Project – iPad Pouch/Clutch

i10-450x450

I created a pouch for my iPad and other belongings for the iteration assignment.

For the previous sewing/textile assignment, I made a tiny box pouch. The reason I decided this assignment for the iteration is because I found the making process very enjoyable and wanted to make a different type of object with different textile, and also because I wanted to improve the overall quality of the product, especially focusing on the quality of the embroidery.

This is the box pouch I made for the previous assignment. It is very cute, however the biggest mistake I made was the position and the quality of the embroidery. Also, I used cotton fabric for this pouch, which made it hard for the pouch to maintain its shape. Thus, I focused on two big things for the iteration project: (1) embroidery, (2) fabric.

This is the initial prototype I created for this assignment. I wanted have an embroidery in the middle of the pouch, and have an inner pocket for my belongings.

I used the felt fabric for my electronic device as it wasn’t stretchy and also it is widely used for making big pouches/clutches. After selecting the color of felt fabric I planned on using, I measured and cut all the pieces I needed. Then, I moved on to designing the suitable embroidery for the pouch, and since I chose red as the color of my pouch, it was not easy to come up with the right color scheme for the embroidery.

I first thought of doing red & pink combination, which I’ve always thought was pretty cute. I designed 4 pixelized hearts with different shades of pink. I embroidered a piece of felt fabric with the hearts, however, I did not like the outcome.

First of all, the hearts were so tiny. Also, the shades of pink were too light and undistinguishable. So, I just started over and created a new design. I still liked doing a heart shape embroidery, so I thought about what heart design I would want on my pouch. I’ve been a huge fan of oldschool, traditional designs/illustration/tattoos, so I found an image of a traditional heart design. With Inkscape, I changed the colors of each section of the design with the colors that I wanted. I was satisfied with the new embroidery design as well as the outcome after an hour of the embroidery process.

Next steps were just sewing all the pieces together. I wanted an inner pocket as I designed in the initial prototype, so I sewed in the pocket first to an inside piece. One thing I realized while sewing was that sewing a larger objects was more difficult than small pieces like the box pouch I made. I tried my best not to make mistakes and to sew as straight as possible.

Below is the video of the entire process.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest