The Fab Lab hosts an open-source Minecraft server for free use. It is a [no PVP] collaboration-oriented creative mode and [PVE] survival server intended to help players who want to learn how to design and print in 3D, experiment with Redstone and build command-block-driven digital story experiences.
Our server has some pretty powerful tools – learn to use them!
Minecraft Creative Mode Basics
Start With Learning to Build Better
Protect Your Creations with WorldGuard
You can prevent other players from being able to modify or destroy your creations if you protect them.
- Left click lower corner (first point)
- Select the top corner by typing
/up 1and right click the glass block (second point)
- To protect create and protect the region type
/region define [region_name] [your_minecraft_name]
Avoid commonly-used names like ‘house’ or ‘castle’ because someone will have already used it. Don’t use spaces in your names! Swap out ‘define’ with addmember to add a friend to edit your region. Examples:
/region define Jeff_mansion Geph /region addmember Jeff_mansion fablab_razmataz
Teleport to Your Regions
- Setting a teleport point by typing
/region flag [region_name] teleport here
- Teleport to your region then by typing
/region tp [region_name]
Use /spawn to teleport home to the spawn.
Adjust Members on Your Regions
In some cases you may want to add new people or remove someone from your protected region. You can do that with:
/rg addowner [user_name] or /rg removeowner [user_name] /rg addmember [user_name] or /rg removemember [user_name]
Owners have permission to add and remove members.
Build Stuff with WorldEdit
For Fab Lab campers and special permissions groups only. //set, //replace, //copy, //paste, //undo, //redo, //cyl, //pyramid, etc… available for approved users – ask email@example.com
Assets specifically for users wishing to create media and maker projects with their MC builds.
Download the Server for 3D Printing
The server world saves (overworld and nether) to a cloud account and can be downloaded for 3D rendering and printing every 24 hours.
3D Print With Mineways
Extract the server directory on to the desktop, and open level.dat with Mineways.
We have pictures in several locations on our Google Drive.
You can load and offload schematics using this Google Drive directory: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwtQaynynYwlfkRhRmpqT2lqWkZhV0Z1TGdKV1NEZGstSG5oRk1VVy0zVW1fS2pWWXR0eHc&usp=sharing
Use command /schematic [save/load] schematic [name]
We are currently (as of 06.2017) running version 1.11.2 with a combination of Spigot and Bukkit plugins on a dedicated machine (Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32gb RAM, 12gb RAM cache swapping to SSD) with dynamic DNS. Our plugins include:
- Some sort of welcome message, currently AbsoluteWelcome
- WorldEdit (for advanced players – allows massive transformation and redering operations)
- WorldGuard (allows players to protect their creations and choose who can modify them)
- PermissionsEx (complicated permission groups)
- autosaveworld (backup and saving)
- CoreProtect (tracking changes made by players, previously LogBlock )
- Multiverse Core, Portals and SignPortals(allows for multiple worlds, one per camp, survival and creative, etc)
- Various custom-spawn and spawn-teleport plugins, currently EasySetSpawn, Simple-TPA and SimpleHomes
- An assortment of other plugins for the Minecraft Survival Challenge camp – Mythic Mobs, Monster Apocalypse, Shop Keepers, Custom Enchants, Larger Ender Chests, hitboxes or health, iDisguise
Players who create awesome things may be featured on the website or Facebook! Players who disrespect others or destroy creations without permission may be banned. Let us know if you’d like to get a copy of our server world files or plugin settings.
Order of server setup:
- Windows Server 2012 install, drivers, update, setup Google Drive
- Setup RAM disk, dynamic DNS client, Xampp or other local MySQL
- Set static IP to range in mostly-open firewall (x.x.x.98-208)
- Install Git, Java JRE, pull down latest BuildTools for Spigot – run JAVA on ramcache
- Toggle EULA file, setup server icon, simple batch script launcher (give it plenty of RAM), server.properties
- Add pluggins (above) one-by-one, checking settings (or restore worlds/plugins from backup)
- Setup backup path to Google Drive directory
This section is for Fab Lab staff and volunteers.
Region and Block Management
Check region info with /rg info, you can help participants work together with /rg addmember or /region addowner.
/co inspect gives you an inspector tool to fix problems – just right click on a block or lay a block an empty space and it will tell you the history, you can then undo changes with:
/co rollback u:<user> t:<time> r:<radius> a:<action> b:<blocks> e:<exclude>
More at http://minerealm.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6781
Block potions with
/rg flag __global__ potion-splash deny
/ma addspawnpoint zombies Zombie 30 1 0 15 100
Makes 1 zombie spawn every 30 seconds from a spot; also /ma removespawnpoint, /ma listspawnpoints
/mv import [worldname] normal /mv modify set gamemode 1 /mv setspawn /mv modify set pvp false /mv modify set animals 0 /rg flag __global__ potion-splash deny
sign/nether portal – make a sign, second row write [mv], third row write world name, no spaces
We have chat logs, remember, so if players disrespect one another we can ban them. To add a user to the camper group (ops only):
/pex user [user] group add campers [world_name]
Tools, armor, potions, spawners etc all can be found at:
Curriculum Development – Advanced Learning and Concepts
A growing list of Minecraft guides that teach fairly useful real-world skills or ideas.
- Learning art and design foundations concepts with creative mode
- Real computer circuits with redstone
- Large-scale architectural modeling – http://www.zgeek.com/15607/
- Civil engineering and construction – http://imgur.com/a/Dwdk8
- Simulation of real computer hardware
- Digital Storytelling
Some Justification – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VONeNVPaNs