For my final project, I decided to design a stylized room in 3D using a program called Blender. Then, I recreated the room in real life using most of the tools I have learned to use in this course.
First, I made these two 3D models. The first one represents what each object is going to be made of (green means textile, blue means 3D printed, red means wood, yellow means other). The second image is a render of the room, showing what the room is going to look like in real life.
Throughout the process, I encountered so many challenges. To name a few, learning to use the resin printer, coloring the 3D printed objects, and making the tablecloth. Using the resin printer was much more complicated than I expected, so I needed to get the help of the instructors. Coloring the 3D printed objects didn’t go so well. I tried using all types of paints, such as acrylic paint, spray paint, and manicures, but the result was not satisfying. The miniature tablecloth didn’t work as a regular tablecloth because there wasn’t enough weight to keep the edges down. I had to trim the sides to solve this problem.
This was the completed version of my final product. (I recolored the golf course again to clean up the color and placed a smartphone on the window to display a scene at a later time. However, I didn’t take a photo because I wasn’t able to find a plant to display on the flower pot because of the changed weather condition.)
One of my goals was to learn how to use the resin printer. Creating a 3D model was not difficult because I was used to making them. However, transferring the model to a specific program to convert the model for 3D print-ready file was complicated, and I needed help from the instructor. Preparing to use the resin printer and cleaning up afterward was also extremely complicated for me as it was like treating a biohazardous material. Thanks to the help I got, the overall outcome was satisfying besides the small size of the product.
Another learning goal was to make all sorts of materials to go along together to make one scene. In my project, I had to use 3D printed objects, wood, plastic, paper, LED light, and textiles all together to make one scene. Without any refining, all these materials weren’t going to go along very well. To solve this problem, I used several designs for the fabric, different methods of painting, and two separate types of 3D printing. Using the right method for the right objects in the scene improved how each object was in harmony within the scene while keeping each one unique. Although there were many difficulties in the process, the overall result looked great, and I felt like I met my learning goals.
The most significant thing I learned in this course is that working digitally and working in real life are two extremely different processes. I’m very comfortable working digitally and not so much in real life. Things I can do so easily digitally can be complicated in real life. For example, giving color to an object takes only a few clicks when using a program. However, when you want to give a color to a real object, it requires planning, picking the right method, processing, and waiting. I realized there is a massive gap between creating objects digitally and in real life. Decreasing this gap through the improvement of technology has become one of my interests.
Previous to taking this course, I thought I was a creator/maker even though I did not know anything about building objects in real life. I was so wrong. Creativity without knowledge of building is unrealistic. Knowledge of building without creativity is soulless. I realized true making could be achieved when you have both creativity and the knowledge of building. My plans for my designs were greatly influenced by the purpose of the product and the methods available. To be a maker, I need to know more than my interest, and I will keep this in mind when I continue to spread my creativity.