Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Craig Santo – Arduino 2

Prototype 1:

Sadly this one didn’t make it much past the conceptual stage. After working with the logistics of it, I quickly realized that making the robot walk with stability, in addition to dragging the arduino/breadboard, would take a lot of work. I’d maybe like to work on an alternative version of this design (more akin to a gorilla, or something that drags itself using its front legs, keeping its back legs on the ground) for the iteration assignment?

Prototype 2:

More of a proof-of-concept for the final version. I decided to go with something more snake-like (with this video kicking around in the back of my mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi40XH4k_kE).

The first attempt at using paperclips to attach the paper towel roll to the motor was unsuccessful due to the inability – but I was able to prove the movement was possible.

Final:

My second iteration on this idea used more reinforcement to keep the tubes bound to the motors – threading them through, using more tape, etc. I strung together two motors and spent a lot of time playing with their velocities, starting positions, and directions until I found something that would work. I discovered during my testing that surface traction was very important for my bot’s movement, which is fitting, given that this happens for actual snakes.

I also modified my code to be able to specify separate forward/backward velocities for each motor (instead of just a single velocity for each)

I was fairly surprised by how complicated it was to attach things to the motor and build a comprehensive motor – there were more “physical” logistics than I expected – how to get around wires, boards, etc – how to actually attach things to the motors in a stable way that would eschew movement, etc.

Final demo: I believe I’ll be able to show it live during section!

Pastebin for final code: https://pastebin.com/AECUecK5

Tags: ,