Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Author Archive

Assignment 2: Layered Sticker

The first sticker I created during lab section was a combination of a bunny and a cat silhouette. The second is the CU Fab Lab logo, which consists of three layers that helped us practice creating multi-layered stickers.

Griffin and Fab Lab logo

For my final sticker, I decided to create a little matryoshka doll (AKA Russian nesting doll). Being a first-generation American whose parents were originally from Russia, I wanted to create a little reminder of that heritage. I also think matryoshka dolls are great sources of design and creativity, because every doll is different, and you can customize them to be as simple or as detailed as you want. Not to mention they are nesting dolls, so they are in and of itself, layered by design šŸ™‚

An example of Russian nesting dolls. The smaller doll fits inside the doll that is directly bigger in sequence. Layers!

My version was not quite as complicated, and only consisted of one “layer” of matryoshka (even though in terms of material, it has 5). In terms of design, I initially did want to go a more complicated route, by adding several symbols to the matryoshka that I thought represented me (i.e. my favorite flower, which is a sunflower), but I was worried about wasting too much vinyl by creating many small pieces/symbols, so ultimately I went with only one symbol: grapes!

The reason I chose to add grapes to my matryoshka is because my last name, Vinogradov, is derived from the Russian word, vinograd, which means “grapes”. That way, I could complete the overall theme of my heritage by adding the very thing that quite literally makes up my family name.

The final sticker

One challenge I faced during the design process was figuring out the order of layers. I originally wanted to have the red layer be over the blue layer, because naturally that’s how it would be on the real thing, but Inkscape for some reason wanted to keep creating the layers such that the blue fitted over red, so I ended up keeping it that way. I don’t think it makes a noticeable difference though. You also can’t really see it in the picture, but I liked that I used a glossier vinyl for the “clothing” of the doll (i.e. the headscarf, blue bottom, and the grape) and a duller version for the body and eyes because it helps accentuate those colors. Overall, I’m happy with how it turned out and will probably put it on my laptop or somewhere close.

Continue Reading

Assignment 1: Laser Name Tag

Since I was a kid I’ve been a fan of Studio Ghibli films, especially those written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, so right off the bat I knew I wanted to create something related to that for my first project in this course. So I decided what better way to reflect that than to incorporate one of his most notable (and cutest) characters, Totoro, from “My Neighbor Totoro”?

My Neighbor Totoro film cover

In the demo version I made in our lab section, I simply added a simple silhouette image of Totoro along with my name (pictured below).

Initial design, made in lab section

However, for my final version, I wanted to make Totoro the most prominent feature of the name-tag as well as incorporate my name into the design more cleverly. Originally, my idea was to vectorize along the outline of Totoro so that the name-tag was shaped like him, then put my name somewhere on the body (i.e. the tummy area). However, I had some difficulties figuring out how to only color the outline of the image in red for cutting, and decided in order to save time, I would just make a simple shape and place the image inside. In order to incorporate my name in a clever way, I took advantage of Inkscape’s feature of manipulating edge nodes in the traced bitmap of the image by removing the “Totoro” in “My Neighbor Totoro” and replacing it with my name in a similar font style, so it instead spelled out “My Neighbor Tanya” (see below).

I used the black-to-white acrylic material and lasered away everything except for Totoro and leaves so that the background was white and left the images in black. Then I glued it to a wooden base I vectorized so the name-tag was a bit thicker and more robust.

Final product

I’m pretty happy with how it turned out, especially the way my name fit into the title. If I had more time I would’ve spent it figuring out how to shape it like Totoro, but overall I still had lots of fun creating it.

Continue Reading

Storyboard Assignment

For our storyboard, my group decided on creating a touch screen table that can be used at restaurants to order food. The idea is that restaurant goers can filter menu options based on certain dietary restrictions (in the case of this setting, one of the customers is gluten intolerant) and order their meal through the screen.

I felt my first attempt at the storyboard did a pretty good job with describing the setting and satisfaction, however it lacked sequence. So in my second attempt (pictured below), I added a more detailed sequence of events to demonstrate the process of filtering and ordering food using this table technology.

Continue Reading