Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Author Archive

Assignment 2

To learn about stickering, before the main assignment we worked on two simpler stickers to create. My first was a single-layer sticker which was a hybrid of a dog and a bird. The second was a three-layer sticker of a shield.

I decided to make my final multi-layered sticker of Tux, the Linux penguin.

I thought the black could be used for the base layer, with the feet, stomach + eyes, and beak each their own layer on top. I realized the beak has small details for the nose and smile, which could be done by either sticking an extra black layer on top of the beak, or by cutting the holes from the beak. I decided to do the second option because I felt it would be more accurate.

To customize the sticker I added a picture of a hat, which would be placed on top of the penguin’s head.

After ungrouping the parts on Inkscape, I did a few more changes to properly join the feet and the white parts to be the same layer. Features like union, intersection, etc. on Inkscape were very useful and made the process easy. My TA Emilie also advised me to extend the black base layer to be joined with the hat as otherwise it may look wonky which I did later. After I separated each part into their proper layers, I placed them back together and sent the picture to the silhouette program.

Although I did not get a chance to take pictures of the sticker printing and physical layering process, I will describe the process. For the most part, the layering went smoothly. However, one issue I encountered was the printing machine printing from the wrong starting offset. I thought this was the case because I was using the wrong plastic grid, but even after using the correct grid it was still printing more or less an inch to the right, which I had to account for for every print.

Another minor issue was printing the hat. For some reason, the individual stripes of the hat would have trouble printing without getting removed from the sticker during the printing. I had to print this multiple times so I could use each stripe from multiple prints.

The very top of the hat was even worse and could barely be printed. It was too thin and did not work very well so I omitted it from the final product.

I think overall my sticker turned out fine. The placement was not super precise but I am fairly happy with the result.

Continue Reading

Storyboarding

For our storyboarding assignment my group decided on an idea of a model skeleton that would have touch sensors attached to an interactive screen to help students learn the different bones in a human body. For my second version of my storyboard I added more detail to make the setting more obvious.

Continue Reading

Assignment 1

For this assignment we designed a name tag that reflected our interests. I initially created a simple name tag in the shape of a rounded rectangle with just two elements: my name, and a silhouette of a penguin. This was printed on a thin strip of plywood and it printed quite well.

For the second edition of the name tag, I decided to add some complexity to further explore Inkscape. I added another silhouette (of a guitar) to the left of my name, a text description saying my major, and a wavy line for added effect. Although it is difficult to see in this picture, to the left of the guitar silhouette is a small hole that was carved off and that can be used to put the name tag in a keychain, for example.

I decided to print my second name tag on a thicker board of plywood. Although this resulted in some visible burning of the name tag, I feel it was a suitable trade off. Having added thickness provides some extra durability and I wouldn’t have to worry as much about it snapping in two if I actually put it on a keychain or something. Although some of the charring makes some parts of the name tag less legible, it can easily be reprinted if one decided to forgo the sturdiness.

Overall I think my project went quite well. I like the simple, fairly clean, and playful aesthetic of the name tag and also feel that it accurately reflects some of the things I like, like guitars and penguins. One challenge I encountered was to determine the placement and size of the carved out hole. If it is too big or close to the edge it may rip. I asked my TA Emilie and she helped me determine a good placement for it. Overall I feel that this project was enjoyable.

Continue Reading