Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Author Archive

Copper Tape Card – Rebecca Tu

  I was inspired by the fact that we can use origami for this project. When I was younger, I used to love making paper stars and cranes so I wanted to incorporate my limited origami skills here and have the chance to create some stars again. When I think of lights, I usually think of Christmas so I decided to create a starry background and add a pop up snowflake and snowman.

I faced a lot of challenges when making this project. I went through this tutorial (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/e/2PACX-1vRciVXsTLiyo8EM5m1t7bUaiPtwTFNSI9OpYfcEo7Phnc82i-A7u9maGM8dx7zhUi7v1Ot_pXWt7wox/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=60000&slide=id.p) until I reached a point where I didn’t understand what was going on towards the end. I was lost about where to place the copper tape on the LED lights and how the circuit should end up looking like. 

Apparently in class, when I did the basic light card, I did the wiring wrong even though it still lit up. 

Here you can see that I didn’t actually create a parallel circuit.

However it somehow still lit up here:

I learned that for my pop-up card that from the positive battery side, I had to extend the tape to the other side of the paper and add a copper tape to that tape from both positive sides of the LED lights. Then I had to connect a copper tape to both negative sides of the LED lights and connect that tape to the switch on the right. Only then did the lights light up. Originally, I had it so that there was just one long tape that went from the positive side of the battery straight to both positive sides of the LED and then back to the switch. This was wrong and nothing lit up.

If I had more time, I would’ve made something prettier. I was just so upset that my circuit wasn’t working and I was so frustrated with trying to get it to work that when I was finally able to, I was exhausted.

Continue Reading

Vinyl Sticker Project- Rebecca Tu

I’m a huge Starbucks fan so I wanted to create the Starbucks logo. At first, I thought this was going to be easy to do. I already knew I wanted the green base, white on top, and then add the black and green at the top. Unfortunately, it was a lot more challenging than expected. I learned more about how to use Inkspace since trace bitmap didn’t help me split everything up the right way. 

When pulling off the vinyl sections that I wanted, I didn’t realize how difficult it would be to stack everything together. My hands were really shaky and I had to reprint the Green vinyl where the Starbucks Coffee is because the first time, when things didn’t line up, I kept trying to pull it off and retry to the point where the 5th time, I accidentally ripped it. If you look at the A, R, B, and O, I had to pull off the little parts from the Green vinyl that didn’t transfer when using the transfer tape. It was difficult to do so and align them properly because the parts were so small.

Overall, I’m pretty proud with how this project turned out. It was really rewarding to finally see the finishing product.

Continue Reading

Project #1 – Laser Name Tag

I wanted to make a name tag that reflected what I am looking forward to in my future. Last semester, I did a co-op in Seattle and will be going back full-time in the summer. I fell in love with Seattle and I loved hiking around Mount Rainier, so I combined both. I wanted Mount Rainier in the back as the outline of my name tag. Then, I wanted to stack on top of it, the Seattle skyline. I at first didn’t have all the knowledge to go about doing this because I was new to using Inkspace. However, the TA’s were very helpful and taught me a lot about the nodes selection tool. 

One problem I came across was when trying to laser print the skyline, the space needle kept snapping off because there were too many mini window holes in it originally. I tried to widen the skyline but it still was too thin since I wanted to keep the three inches max width. I had to decide between two options: remove the windows or make my skyline even wider. I decided to remove the windows because I had already printed out my mountain background and didn’t want to waste more wood.

I had a lot of fun painting it afterwards. I used watercolor paints for a lighter white mountain top. This way you can still see some of the wood in the back so it looks more realistic. I used acrylic paint for the bottom part of the mountain and the skyline.

Continue Reading