Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Author Archive

Copper Tape Circuit Origami- Edbert Linardi

This week project is about creating a LED Circuit based on paperboard. For the first two in-class assignment, we made two basic boards. The first one has no images. On the second boards, I picked a quote and drew a simple cartoon based on the quote.


The quote is saying “The only whole heart is a broken one because it lets the light in.” – David J. Wolpe

Based on this quote, I was inspired to draw a couple with broken heart between them. Then, I put the LED on the heart. Besides, I wrote “Let the light in”, and used it as a switch to turn the light on.

For the third assignment, we created a 3D objects with LEDs on it. My original idea was to make a heart shaped origami, since the Valentine’s Day is coming soon. However, I failed since the paper was too thick, while the heart origami requires a lot of bending. Therefore, I needed to get another idea. I chose to make a origami bird. I followed the tutorial on I personally do not do origami at home, since I’m not an artsy person. However, I want to make a origami circuit because I was inspired by a short movie on Youtube.

The process of making the origami bird was not quite difficult, but also not that easy at the same time. I was able to follow the steps by making some corrections. Initially, I made a paper-bird that was too small.

It was difficult to put LED on this mini bird. Besides, it will look  not that nice.

Then, I made another bird. This time, I picked a larger paper.

Some pitfalls that others can avoid while making origami was not folding the paper carefully. Origami requires a lot of attention to detail. If it was not folded carefully, there will be some gaps between the folds.


After done folding the paper, I drew the circuit. It was not too tidy since I only used it for guidelines for sticking the copper tape.

I chose to put the LEDs on the bird’s eyes.

Initially, the orange LED that I chose cannot be turned on. I had to change the LED to the pink one.

I put the switch on the body, so when the body or wings are touched, the eyes will be shining.

This is the final product.

Finally, there are lots of things that I still need to learn to create a better LED-origami. I think the circuit design was nice. However, the problem is on the origami itself. My foldings were not really tidy. Besides, I believe I need to use a real origami paper for a better result. Using an ordinary paper will not be enough to make a pretty origami bird.

Something that I like about my origami bird was it has pinky eyes shining brightly when it’s touched.


Continue Reading

Vinyl Sticker Project – Edbert Linardi

For this week’s INFO490 Makerspace Project, I made a vinyl sticker using Inkscape, Silhouette, and Silhouette Printer. I have never had any experiences creating these things before. However, in the lab section, I learned to make basic stickers, such as a simple two combined animals silhouette, and a logo bi-layer sticker. For the multi-layered sticker, I planned to make a minion with Illinois logo on its shirt, because who does not like minion? I think it will be a funny sticker to be on my laptop’s cover.


PigLion silhouette sticker, and inverted McDonald logo sticker.

While designing the minion, I looked for one with flat color, so that it will be easier to cut. Besides, I also looked for a simple Illinois logo. It was difficult to find a simple minion cartoon. I found one without eyes and mouth. Thus, I googled images of minion eyes and mouth.

In the Silhouette Studio, I had to set the setting of Trace, so that it only traces the outer part of the minion’s body.

I could not find any vinyl paper that matches the color of my minion. So, I picked papers that have similar colors to the minion.

After finished printing all the parts of the minion, I used the transfer paper to combine all the parts. It was not that easy to align them properly, because my sticker turned out to be relatively small.

Here is my finished sticker. I am not really satisfied with the sticker, because the color is off. I wanted the brighter yellow and blue color. Besides, I believed the mouth is too close to the eyes.

In the future, I will make sure the materials are available before designing.


Continue Reading

Laser Name Tag Project by Edbert Linardi

For the first project of the class Info 490 Makerspace B, I created a name tag using the laser cutter and Inkscape. This was my first experience utilizing the laser cutter and I was so excited since the laser cutter is a great tool. I was inspired by things that I love, which are basketball and sneakers. I did not have any idea about how to use the laser cutter and Inkscape. However, during the lab section, Sara showed the steps and details to use both of them.


The idea for my name tag is by creating two layers of acrylic, orange acrylic for the basketball and black acrylic    for the sneaker. Then, since the sneaker is smaller than the basketball, it will be on top of the basketball.

After done printing my two layers, I used the acrylic paint to put colors to my name tags. For the basketball, I painted it with a black paint on the lines. While for the sneaker, I used a red acrylic paints for my name.

Then, I used the acrylic glue to stick the shoe on top of the ball. I could not take a picture of the glue, since I was told to being careful and use the gloves and glasses because the acrylic glue is dangerous.













Here is the finished name tag. I believe that my name tag could be improved by using another color for my name. I enjoyed working on this project because it is a new challenging experience for me.

Continue Reading