I saw my friend having problem with coins where he spends long time searching for quarters from piles of coins to do his laundry. I decided to make him a gift.
I made 4 different parts in this project: Coin inserter, rotary sorter, body, and coin collectors for each types of coins.
1. Coin inserter
2. Rotary sorter
3. Coin collectors
Like always initial planning was crucial for this project. Because 3d printing actually take a very long time, I couldn’t take a chance to fail and go for second try. I triple check dimensions and fitting of each parts before I start printing.
During printing process, I encounter few surprises.
Cost of 3D printing was higher than I expected. I estimated my cost around $5, but actual cost of printing was around $20.
Time duration of 3D printing is surprisingly long. Without any failure, it took over 13 hours.
3.Availbiltiy and reliability of 3D printer:
I visited Fab lab and makerlab in business building. It seems like half of the 3D printer were broken or going through repair. I was lucky that I arrived early and printer was available, but I can imagine people not finishing their project because they couldn’t find available printer.
To be honest this was a very hard project compare to first two project in the semester. It felt like it was two different projects: creating 3-d object and creating copper tape circuit.
Challenge 1: pop up card
I never made pop up card nor 3-d object before (although I have some experience on 3-d modeling in computer), so it required me to do some additional research and practices. Good initial planning was crucial for this project since I have to consider other part of project; adding copper tape circuit to pop up card.
Challenge 2: copper tape
Although it was nice that using copper tape did not require any soldering and wiring was fairly clean, only able to use one side of tape was a huge caveat. In addition, reliable connection was not always guaranteed when it comes to copper tape. A lot of people including myself were having battery connection issue where people have to press on the switch with some force.
So copper tape was not a magical tool that I thought it would be. It was versatile in some sense but there are certainly a limitation.
As you can see, I made many error during my attempt. However, it gave me chance to practice with transfer tape and sticker cutter. After enough practice, I decided to move on to grand finale: my own multi layer sticker.
I decided to design my own sticker from scratch. Objective was to make unique sticker that I can stick it on front of my laptop. Main character for this project is my personal favorite insect: bee.
Tools and material used:
3.3.Finish product & Reflection:
Build process went smoothly. I often forget about importance of initial planning and design and tend to jump straight into building soon as possible. However, I spend extra time on designing stage for this project and figured out layer choice that made implementation easier. Only regret is that I forgot to plan beyond finishing project where I should of took more picture for blog post (Which made me go back to Fab lab just to take picture).
People have been asking me that where I bought the sticker and I can proudly say I made it in the Fab lab.
For the laser name tag assignment, I made a name tag for my friend’s dog. I thought it would be more practical this way, and I can show off to my friend.
As a initial design, I thought about making name tag that look something like this:
However, these design were too common to find and too simple. I wanted to make something unique and would be hard to make without help of machine. As a result I came up with new design.
New name tag design:
Although it didn’t turn out to be scary as I wanted, I decided to stick with it.
polishing and update:
As first design as reference, I made line more smoother and add friend’s number. (It is blurr out due to privacy issue)
image for raster
Silhouette for vector (by tracing out the outline)
In the final design, I add ring on the top.
Alright, now let’s move on to building process.
Build Process & finish product:
I decided to use two tone acrylic plastic since etching wood did not show the color(tone) well.
Although I used the recommended setting for 1/8inch acrylic, laser did not etch deep enough. Thankfully, one of the TA helped me to find the right setting.
Second attempt and finish product:
Alright! Time to test on my friend’s dog.
when I brought my newly made name tag to my friend with a big hope, it did not work out as I planned. Mainly because my name tag was too big. I designed it to be 3×3 inches (although it might look bigger in the above picture since my hand is pretty small) where I should of made it half of the size. It’s not a big deal in this case since shrinking and reprinting are easy task, but I understand that situation might be different in the real world. Triers and errors would not be the most efficient method, thus I will be more considerable in the planning stage next time.
I choose topic 1 which is about restaurant smart table. Main goal of this story boarding is to inform audience about few functionality of smart table, such as food recommendation, ingredient analysis, and user interaction through voice and table screen.
Problem arise because many people are food sensitive and waiter do not always know everything about their menu. Main character in my story board have fruit allergy and he wasn’t sure about food content in the menu. Smart table was able to provide accurate information about the food, ingredient and recommended dish base on condition of the main character.
Although I think the idea is not so practical after all, it was a fun idea to think about since everything is becoming “smart” these day: smart phone, smart TV, smart refrigerator, smart watch, and so on.