Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Author Archive

Ashley Jun Paper Circuits

In class projects

The following is the first paper circuit I made in class to understand the basic concepts of a circuit.

Afterwards, I made a a more complex parallel circuit based on an inspirational quote. The first is my design and what I calculated for the resistors (220 ohms) based on my battery (3V) and 2 yellow LEDs (2.2V each). 










Below is the final product! I faced some difficulty with connectivity but after taping down the LEDs and resistors better, they shined really well. 










Final project ideation

With the final part of the assignment, I searched on Google for inspiration on pop out cards and found one with balloons that I really liked. I drafted the design on paper first, with the idea of sandwiching one sheet of white paper in between two pieces of cardstock so that the lights would shine through the balloon cutouts on the black cardstock. Then I decided on my colors keeping in mind the voltage for each LED color and the resistors I would need. I knew that the orange and yellow LEDs (2.2V) would need higher resistors (220 ohms) compared to the green and blue LEDs (3.2v, 100 ohms). 












After I drew the outline of my circuit onto the white cardstock, I proceeded to tape down copper tape, my LEDs, and resistors. It wasn’t too difficult since I had made 2 paper circuits already, but I did have difficulty with the connectivity because the LEDs wouldn’t stay taped down. I tried to increase conductivity by putting a layer of tape upside down before placing another one on top and sticking the LED to the paper better. The inside of my card looks like this: 











My final card looks like this after joining the two pieces together: 










This assignment was definitely the most challenging so far – initially because it took me some time to understand the basic concepts of circuits and then all the troubleshooting I had to do. Working with circuits in a creative setting was difficult but definitely rewarding once I got to my final product. The connectivity issues made the process a pain and frustrating, but I would definitely like to do a more complex iteration in the future. 

Continue Reading

Ashley Jun – Sticker

Design and build process

With many of the cute examples in class, I knew that I wanted to make something colorful. As a former bubble tea shop worker (and am still obsessed with bubble tea), I decided to create a cartoonish bubble tea sticker. I started off by looking for a general silhouette of a bubble tea cup like this:

I used only the outline and adjusted several aspects like straightening the straw, only keeping one wavy line, and removing the black circles. To add the “cute” aspect to the sticker I added eyes and a small smile. To make this assignment more challenging, I decided to add a word bubble that read “can’t we all just oolong?” My final sketch turned out like this:

I was able to break apart the original image so that the black would be the base and every other shape would overlay it. My final layers were this (I changed white to blue to make it visible):

I separated each layer before printing and adjusted the sizes evenly. Once I printed each one I began to stack each layer with transfer tape:

However, I ran into one major challenge which was the word bubble. I made the letters too small, so it was very difficult to peel back the sticker and layer the white on top of the black. Some of the letters wouldn’t come off so I decided to remove the word bubble entirely and just keep the bubble tea cup.

My final product including the failed attempt at a word bubble turned out like this:


Overall, I had a fun time designing and putting together this assignment. I had to think backwards from how I would have to stick each layer to each other and create shapes in Inkscape to account for that. If I were to do this project again, I would definitely use larger letters and also a attempt different colors instead of overlaying white on black to create a black text in white word bubble effect.

Continue Reading

Ashley Jun Name tag

Design and build process

When discussing this assignment in lab, one of the instructors mentioned that we could make our nametag into whatever shape but preferably not something sharp for obvious reasons. I immediately thought of circles which led to the idea of clouds. Also, though several of the nametag examples given in class were very intricate, I knew that I wanted mine to be very simple as I consider myself as such. After looking through several Google images of cloud silhouettes I thought of layering different pieces of material on top of each other to make the nametag more interesting.

I also decided to add a still from the movie Ponyo which is one of my favorite movies and thought it would fit the almost child-like cloud design. As for my name, I decided to make it a vector on both cloud layers. For the material, I figured that the illustration would be burned into the wood best and decided on a blue acrylic for the top cloud layer.

I superglued both layers after laser cutting them and the final product is pictured below.


Considering how I wanted my final product to be very simple, I’m quite happy with how it turned out. Looking back, I wish I had found a different type of wood or possibly stained it to be slightly darker. Also, though I imagined the blue acrylic to be a bit more translucent, I am glad I was at least lucky enough to find a blue material that would contrast with the wood. I’m very thankful I had to help of the staff at the Fab Lab especially when it came to set up the laser and ensuring I had the right color and width for my design. If I had to do this project again, I would reconsider the materials to make my vision come true of a playful and simple nametag.

Continue Reading