Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab
Champaign-Urbana Community Fab Lab

Assignment 2

To learn about stickering, before the main assignment we worked on two simpler stickers to create. My first was a single-layer sticker which was a hybrid of a dog and a bird. The second was a three-layer sticker of a shield.

I decided to make my final multi-layered sticker of Tux, the Linux penguin.

I thought the black could be used for the base layer, with the feet, stomach + eyes, and beak each their own layer on top. I realized the beak has small details for the nose and smile, which could be done by either sticking an extra black layer on top of the beak, or by cutting the holes from the beak. I decided to do the second option because I felt it would be more accurate.

To customize the sticker I added a picture of a hat, which would be placed on top of the penguin’s head.

After ungrouping the parts on Inkscape, I did a few more changes to properly join the feet and the white parts to be the same layer. Features like union, intersection, etc. on Inkscape were very useful and made the process easy. My TA Emilie also advised me to extend the black base layer to be joined with the hat as otherwise it may look wonky which I did later. After I separated each part into their proper layers, I placed them back together and sent the picture to the silhouette program.

Although I did not get a chance to take pictures of the sticker printing and physical layering process, I will describe the process. For the most part, the layering went smoothly. However, one issue I encountered was the printing machine printing from the wrong starting offset. I thought this was the case because I was using the wrong plastic grid, but even after using the correct grid it was still printing more or less an inch to the right, which I had to account for for every print.

Another minor issue was printing the hat. For some reason, the individual stripes of the hat would have trouble printing without getting removed from the sticker during the printing. I had to print this multiple times so I could use each stripe from multiple prints.

The very top of the hat was even worse and could barely be printed. It was too thin and did not work very well so I omitted it from the final product.

I think overall my sticker turned out fine. The placement was not super precise but I am fairly happy with the result.

Tags: ,