Current Job Openings
As a place where a lot of innovation happens the Fab Lab depends on and greatly values cognitive diversity. Therefore we are especially interested in hiring individuals from diverse backgrounds, and kindly encourage all sorts of people to apply.
No positions open at this time. Please check back later.
(Undergraduate or Graduate Student Hourly)
Start Date: ASAP. Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications received by Sunday, Oct 2, 2022, will receive full consideration.
Compensation: $12-16/hour for approximately 10 hours a week (Include evenings and weekends)
Description: The CU Community Fab Lab is seeking a Lab Assistant to give lab tours, help patrons with their projects, work on campus and community events, and staff workshops at the lab. This may consist of helping people generate ideas for projects, use the lab machines and tools, produce physical objects out of their ideas, and assisting in keeping the lab clean, organized, and documented. We invite those who have the maker mindset- curiosity, playfulness, empathy, and interest in inquiry and who are willing to learn and teach new technologies and maker techniques to serve our community!
Qualifications and Preferences:
- Skills and experience with rapid fabrication technologies are preferred – electronic cutters, laser engravers, screen printing, small board electronics (e.g. Arduino), e-textiles, digital embroidery machines, and 3D printers/scanners.
- Teaching skills and experience with creative design and making with technologies are preferred.
- Must engage in diverse users respectfully (e.g., youth, adults, both university and non-university affiliated community members, professionals, hobbyists, people with different abilities, makers in a range of skill levels, and more).
- Strong verbal skills and customer service skills are required.
- Basic digital literacy skills are required–Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Google Apps, basic file management concepts with Windows/OSX, and online communication tools, such as Google Doc, Calendar, email, and more.
- We suggest you first come in to meet us at the Fab Lab (1301 S Goodwin, Urbana) to talk to existing staff and get a sense for what the job and workplace are like, if you haven’t already done so. (Fall 2022 Open Hours: Sun 1-6pm; Mon-Thu 5-9pm)
- Submit a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to include any relevant portfolios or references, if you have any.
People of all majors, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religious affiliations, and ability status are strongly encouraged to apply. May require a background check.