Messing around with Tinker Cad, I first made this really ugly castle. I was just trying to use each of the shapes once or twice and get a feel for the program.
I learned how to 3d scan by scanning this castle/building model.
And I used the Kinect and Meshmixer to scan and edit this 3d model of myself. IMG_1329
Approaching this assignment, I thought I wanted to follow the prompt of making something of cultural significance and make a calavera. My family is Mexican, and the Day of the Dead is a special time to remember those who have passed and to celebrate their lives and memories. Calaveras are decorative skulls made of sugar and used to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos on November 1st. I started making a skull in Meshmixer and while I don’t have a photo..trust me, it looked like mush.
Then I tried in TinkerCAD
And while this was a lot closer, it just wasn’t what I was looking for.
This is when I switched prompts. I decided to make a piece I needed. I have a Pilates ball that is missing it’s cap, so once it’s inflated the air just seeps right out. Link to design:
Here’s the ball and the tube that I use to inflate it.
I measured the diameter of the tube, and made a version of it on TinkerCAD that had a cap at the end. The cap is made of 2 diamonds. And I made 2 versions just in case the first didn’t work.
When I went to go print it, I ran into a bunch of problems. First the printer wasn’t working, then the next printer didn’t work. Then all the architecture students were using the printers, so when I finally got one and printed, I realized there was a major flaw with my design: the tube was too thin to be printed.
And so after printing this disaster, I hit the drawing board again. Quickly!
I made the tube thicker, and printed vertically without the supports.
Finally, I had my plug!
And while the woman at the BIF lab was taking the bottom part off..